Hot Water heater replacement

If you have any questions about new construction, upgrades or anything home related, put it here!

Hot Water heater replacement

Postby beawoodwrkr » Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:08 pm

Well our hot water heater was giving us symptoms of needing to be replaced. So being my typical self, I looked at Home Depot & Lowes to establish the price of a new heater. Then I had my wife call (she likes calling) some of the local places to just have it done. We got a couple of numbers for the complete job. It ranged from $700-800.

Now I just can’t see paying someone to do what I can do. That of course is the line that I use. So, I decide to go and pick one up and do it myself. The trip to Home Depot was good because I wanted some lumber for another project (wood storage behind my shop). I started the job on Tue morning.

Things I learned from the project.
1. Always buy new hoses for the water inlet/outlet.
2. Install the drain for the drain pan where it is easy for you to reach.
3. Speaking of drain pan. I don’t know if any of you out there have a plan for putting the hot water heater into the pan. Ours sets back in a tight spot so just saying lift it, doesn’t work. I ended up making a ramp and using a dolly to lift it into place.

I had a real problem getting the old hoses to bend and then ended up breaking one (they were that so called flexible copper). So the next day I went to Lumbermans (excuse me ProBuild) and picked up some of the braided ones. They work so much better!

Anyway it is now heating and so far so good. I did have a leak when I turned off the water cutoff at the cold inlet. Now that I have it open and all back like it was for the last 13 years, it seems to have stopped.

I believe I saved enough to put toward the increase in property taxes! Don’t you just love it! :)
beawoodwrkr
Site Admin

Return to Home Repairs/Upgrades